Maybe it is my generation that pulled me back from wanting to jump in with both feet when it comes to a “blog.” Maybe it is the name itself – blahhhggg…. Could “they” not have thought of a more creative name than blog? It’s like someone was clearing their throat during the brainstorming session and everyone agreed that it was the perfect name. I would like to offer suggestions to “they”, but I think it is too late. Maybe I will blog about that…
During a recent chapel lesson with lower school students we made a comparison between “Joseph helping the Pharoah interpret dreams” (which allowed for the people of Egypt to prepare for the seven years of famine) to our families preparing for Hurricane Hermine. The theme of the lesson was to make lemonade when you are dealt lemons. What good came from these situations or circumstances? Children shared amazing stories of families playing the card game spoons by candlelight or getting together with family members and having a campout in their house. Making lemonade out of lemons. If the word “blog” is my lemon, then lemonade it is! Welcome you to our new HCES Blog! An exclamation point already brings a positive feel. Why blog? Why HCES? This is our theme – WHY HCES? HCES brought us all together and now we want to hear from those that make up our HCES family: parents, teachers, administrators, students reviews of authentic check, alumni, etc. It is our hope that an HCES blog will allow for our school community to share information informally and share stories that are created and lived out here on our campus. As I have always said, “The people are the true magic of Holy Comforter Episcopal School.”A list of initial responses to – Why HCES?
- Because we truly love and invest in each and every child.
- Because we want each child to be the best student they can be and the best person they can be.
- Because we want our graduates to be different than their peers.
- Because we ARE different.
- Because we are the experts in Pre-K through 8th grade education in Tallahassee!
- Because the people that work here are passionate about teaching, guiding, challenging and loving children and young adults.
- Because our innovation in the classroom is a long standing tradition.
- Because we teach and guide our students to graduate and transition onto their next school and I want that “transition” to take place while they live under your roof! – BEFORE going off to college! Which will be soon enough.
- Because we live and breathe our mission, which is to nourish the spirit, challenge the mind, and strengthen the body.
My list is endless, but the number of words I am “allowed” to write is not. Enjoy your first blog and I hope you look forward to many more from a variety of school community members.